It’s Time To Go Newt

If Newt Gingrich happens to read this blog post by some miracle then I’ll ask only this Newt, please end your campaign. Pretty please end your campaign.

Today I went to www.newtsnetwork.com where you can “share information, build teams in your county or state, make phone calls into state’s with upcoming elections, contact leaders in your area, and help build the campaign ground game the Speaker Gingrich will need to win the nomination.” Maybe because his social media team decided to quit or because Newt and I were never meant to be, but my profile simply didn’t work. I created the profile and then it never let me login using my newly created username and password. But alas! You can also login using a Facebook app similar to MyBo and MyMitt used by Barack Obama and Mitt Romney respectively. Newt’s Network allows the app to receive your basic info (which includes your name, profile picture, gender, networks, user ID, list of friends, and any other information you made public), your e-mail address, and your birthday. It also allows friends to see posts that “this app makes for you on Facebook.” I’m not quite sure what that last part meant so for my wall’s sake I didn’t get the app. I feared Newt high jacking my ultra-popular wall and posting status updates about $2.50 gas.

There is also www.newt.org/influencer that allows users to share articles about Newt on social media sites by giving your email address and “with your approval, the content gets automatically shared to your networks right from your email.” I choose not to sign up for this one because I didn’t want Newt to flood my inbox. In any event, the two websites seem to have a similar purpose.

So while Newt is using similar techniques as his competition, he still has some problems in the social media realm. In the last week Newt has the least Twitter mentions of any candidate and was the second least frequently mentioned candidate by the traditional media. In the last 24 hours he has had 423 comments on social media sites compared to 529 for Ron Paul, 1191 for Mitt Romney, and 1397 for Rick Santorum. Just like you drew it up Newt, “On Twitter if you go to hashtag $250 gas and just put that in, that’s a whole new group that we’re building around so we can Twitter and we can send out tweets.” Yes he really did say that. Newt is simply starting to fall off the radar of serious contenders. Why do I leave Ron Paul alone you ask? Well, I kind of like him.

Newt won only one state on Super Tuesday, yet pledges to keep his campaign pushing forward, why? I understand that he’s funny, sarcastic, entertaining, and incredibly intelligent but unfortunately that’s not all it takes to be president. There is no chance that he will be the next president and if he really believes all the things he says about Mitt Romney then he owes it to all of his fellow Republicans to bow out and let Rick Santorum take Mitt on one-on-one.

Even though I don’t particularly like Newt, he is amazingly accomplished. As Rich Lowry put it, “any discussion of Gingrich must begin with his undeniable accomplishments. He led his party out of the wilderness and briefly touched the promised land as Speaker of the House” and “ he is incredibly creative and glib.” He is impressive, but Newt has a chance to impress one more time by stepping away, not by continuing to run. If you stick around too long Newt people end up hating you, just look at Brett Favre.

Mitt Romney’s Facebook page currently has 1,540,576 likes with 76,428 people talking about it. Newt’s has 296,253 with 27,191 talking about it. And symbolically, unlike Newt, Mitt has already upgraded his page to the new Facebook timeline format. I’ll tell you what Mr. Speaker, you drop out and one more person will like your page, me.

The Gingrich Social Media Strategy

This entry was posted in Elections News, National News and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to It’s Time To Go Newt

1. Devin says:

Great post! I think it’s very true that Gingrich’s online efforts pale in comparison to other Republican competitors (such as Ron Paul and Mitt Romney). This may possibly have to do with the demographic that Gingrich appeals to (typically older and more socially conservative folks), but I haven’t seen any data directly linking the two. One interesting thing to note, however, is that it may not make things easier for Santorum if Gingrich backs out. Some recent polls show that if Gingrich drops out, current Gingrich supports are split almost right down the middle (Romney actually has a slight advantage) between Santorum and Romney. This says basically that Santorum wouldn’t automatically get the Gingrich base, meaning Newt may be helping Santorum by staying in.

2. Julia Averbuck says:

Sam, I found this post so entertaining. As someone who has been following the campaign only marginally (and by marginally I mean, I read the updates the NYTimes sends me and that’s about it), I must say I kind of liked Newt. Or maybe liked isn’t the right word – but I felt like he deserved to be there. As Rich Lowry said, the guy is accomplished (which is more than we can say about Rick Santorum?). But you’re absolutely right, accomplishment doesn’t always make a good presidential candidate or even a good president, for that matter. At this point, Gingrich is only doing a disservice to his party by fighting on and only helping to further fragmentize a party that is already very divided.

If social media tells us anything – and we know that it does based on a few previous posts in this blog – Newt no longer stands a chance and it’d be better to bow out now than be kicked out later.

• David says:

Sam, this post is hilarious. Gingrich is accomplished, but I’m curious as to whether these accomplishments haven’t been vastly overshadowed by some of the recent things he has said (buy your moon real estate now) that cast him as uninformed and insensitive (poor people are lazy!). I’m also curious as to whether a stronger online and social media presence might not have mitigated some of these things by reinforcing his strengths to a wider audience. Even Newt.org’s “Meet Newt” section–while it does of course list his achievements–fails to identify specific bills that can serve as something tangible to grab onto.